Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ode To The Toaster Oven


Here’s a picture of one of my best and most dependable companions this past year – my toaster oven, which I bought from Argos at the start of my time here in London. Surely the best £20 I’ve ever spent, considering the sheer hours of joy it brought to me and my satisfied stomach. It’s now old, used and full of crumbs, but the delicious memories will always be there. The nights may have been cold, and the work may pile up, but with the oven around, there’s always a Cornish Pasty to be heated up, or even a bowl of soup. What bliss.

Student lives are simple. We don’t ask for much. Just easy exams, less work, and a full stomach. I’m now nearing the end of my time as a student, though, with mere days to go. The past weeks in August have been pretty dreary – and even unhealthy – but I’ve had to put in time to work on my dissertation. How will I do? Well, just gimme a pass, and I’ll be happy.

I’ve been commiserating with the Swinger a few doors away, who’s also in the last stage of his much more massive dissertation. And even at this late stage, he’s yet to receive his experimental results from his university lab. Damm these Imperialists.

Anyway, I don’t usually preview my coming days, but the plan now is to hand in the completed work at the end of this week, check out of Goodenough College, and head off thereafter for a post-dissertation break, before returning to London later in September. I’ll then spend my last week here in this great city.

So I’ll be back soon. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a few days time, I will officialy be the only one left in Goodenough from our sexy six :(

It has been a crazy few weeks but I guess I am also lucky to have 345 to moan to once in a while, at times over teh tarik but most times just over msn. 48 hours to go and still no sign of results which I have expected from the begining.

Farewell Rampant and do enjoy your last few moments here and I still owe you and the SSG the teochew moi, which will really be the last supper as I will then hang up my wok - in SSG's place that is.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rampant, enjoy the last bits of London and your holiday. The toaster improved our quality of life indeed!

SW, hope the lab churns out your result soon. And I hope your dissertation is almost there. Hang in there, and lucky SSG, she gets to keep the famous Celebrity Chef's wok!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home