Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Scenes From The Neighbourhood

Well, I have been doing a wee bit of work. The enforced time inside my room has delivered some miniscule benefit. But the weather outside has been magnificent this week, with sunny skies and temperatures in the low to mid-twenties. How perfect. And what a shame I’m caged up in this pathetic coop called my room. Arrrgh.

But I still have to feed myself. And as I ventured out this afternoon, I thought I’d take the camera along, and capture some images from around the neighbourhood. I guess I’ll remember some of these scenes fondly when I leave London next month.


First I had had to make my way past these colourfully-dark prison-like corridors.


Down an equally dark stairwell, which offered a tantalizing view of the glorious weather outside.


Finally, the London House lawn, basking in the bright sunshine. It's pretty quiet this time of year, with few souls around.


And here's the Brunswick - home of Waitrose supermarket, Virgin Megastore, and the Hare & Tortoise restaruant - where I must have spent literally hundreds and hundreds of pounds over the past months.


This is the entrance to the Russell Square Tube Station, with the strong Underground logo juxtaposed against the dark early 20th century masonry of the station walls.


Less than a minute's walk away on Herbrand Street is this most impressive Art Deco building with its distinctive lines - now the London headquarters of advertising agency McCann-Erickson.


And here's my sentimental favourite - the Starbucks on Lamb's Conduit Street. The composition ain't much, but I spent many happy and high moments inside with my dear friends; the Chai Latte, the Double Tall Latte and the Mocca Frappuccino.


Here's the sign that greets you at the gate to Coram's Field, which is right next to Goodenough College. Never fails to bring a smile to my face. I've never been able to gain access as well. Anyone has a child to lend?


Walking back, I pass by one side of the London House building, and until recently, I could see someone actually growing a tomato plant - the verdant leaves clearly visible at the window's edge.


Back in my room, with the sun setting, I see a woman walking on the grounds of Mecklenburgh Gardens, with the shadows of the late afternoon casting long impressions on the luxuriant green lawn.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really cool sign! :)

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh... those were the good old days...

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I was the only fornutate person to be able to get into Corams - brought my daughter as the entrace ticket when my family came for a holiday. And she thought Daddy is so kind to bring her to the park but actually it was the other way around!

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh. memories!! feeling nostalgic here in hot sgp looking at photos of these familiar places in the glorious london sunshine. enjoy your last mth there bro! -GNK-

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home