Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dinner On The Terrace

This evening was definitely a nice interlude away from work. Everyone’s favourite Anglo/Russian-Israeli/Uruguayan couple from class decided to do something really special and nice, and organized a lovely home-cooked dinner for a few of us on the fourth floor roof terrace here at Goodenough College’s London House.

And by the light of the setting sun we all gathered, sipping wine, exchanging words, and tucking into a good spread of fried rice, potatoes, salad, curried chicken plus other dishes. I never complain when there’s good food, especially not when accompanied by great company all round.

After dinner, we headed to the Freddie’s Bar down in the basement, where a Scrabble board was quickly produced. I think it must have been years since I played Scrabble, but at least my team didn’t come in last. Words such as brood and quirk helped out quite a bit.

It’s difficult to describe the feeling of August. I’ve not been heading out as much as I did. Yet I hardly get a sense of time moving slower. If anything, I feel as though it’s heading forward inexorably – as time does – and at a faster speed. I don’t have many days left here, and it’s a shame that these final moments are to be spent mostly at the desktop, pouring over putrid academic work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home