Monday, July 23, 2007

My Own Lazy Weekend

Compared to the frenetic activity of the week before, I’ve had a comparatively quiet weekend, principally because I’ve been feeling a wee bit under the weather, in more than one sense of the word. So Britain has been hit by some of the worst flooding in recent memory, and given my prudent choice to head out without a brolly, compounded by a lack of sleep and the onset of fatigue, my body broke down sometime on Saturday.

I had been out for lunch with a contact at the Habour City in Chinatown, and decided after that to walk to nearby Piccadilly to check out the famed Abercrombie & Fitch outlet. But the weather was atrocious, with heavy rainstorms soon giving way to humid sunshine, making it too reminiscent of Southeast Asia. Around me was a sea of humanity, a multitude of madness, drenching my senses with too much noise and colour, and I started getting increasingly woozy. I knew I had to head back for a good rest.

I was rewarded in the evening with a wonderful, home-cooked meal. The Celebrity Swinger Chef, who had announced earlier that he was hanging up his wok, decided after some prodding by the Fierce One to venture down to the buttery for another demonstration of his culinary prowess – something which he continued to do the following evening. I appreciate these moments, humbled by the realization that I will never be able to cook as well as him, but confident that I am able to eat more than a good share of what’s available. Heh.

In between, on Sunday afternoon, the few of us journeyed to the Surrey Quays/Canada Water area again on board the reliable Bus 188 from Russell Square to meet up with GNK+1 and his other half for Sunday carvery lunch at Spice Island, a large pub restaurant situated at the water’s edge. Around were lovely modern residential developments, which served only to make me continue fantasizing about living and working in London.





In the evening, after the delicious dinner, we convened for another session at Swinger’s Bar, whereupon the remaining Russian Standard vodka and Bombay Sapphire gin were quickly consumed. It would also be the last time for a long while before I would meet BP again. He’s heading off soon – that lucky bugger – for his second year of studies in the Big Apple. Meanwhile, GNK+1 is starting work at the bank, but with the dissertation yet complete. Best of luck to the both of them!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With another loyal patron to Swinger's bar balik kampung liao, that leaves only 2 who are alcohol enthusiasts + 1 part timer + 1 teh-C-er (or rimbena) + 1 cranberry or other juice person.

sw

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home