Friday, December 15, 2006

And Now Gastropubs

A gastropub is a relatively new concept in British dining. It refers to pubs which prefer to serve more than usual pub grub - such as fish and chips or pot pies – offering, instead, a selection of fine cuisine, yet within the confines of a traditional pub – noisy, smoky, and jolly. And I believe that some of the food at gastropubs are up there with the best that mainstream restaurants can offer.

My first foray into the food offered by gastropubs was on a Sunday afternoon some weeks back at the Perseverance, located on the quaintly-named Lamb's Conduit Street, near the hall. I had the roast beef. Nothing could have been more apt for Sunday lunch.

And just a couple of evenings ago, I found myself with the Singapore Doctor and the Canadian Couple at the Easton, one such gastropub about five minutes away from the hall, set on a corner street off Farringdon Road. Check out quick reviews here and here. The place was pretty busy, and we found ourselves perched on the bar counter. But never mind, the food certainly was impressive. And perhaps I was just very hungry – and greedy too.

So I had the roast lamb with potatoes and beans – prepared in a much more delectable way that this sentence makes it out to be – followed by a nice chocolate torte. They were good. I try my best, always. There’s so much in London for me to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home