Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Back at the College

Goodenough College held a forum this evening for members to raise suggestions and feedback with senior College staff. Not that I actually attended the session. I was too busy with work. But I guess the I had nothing in particular to raise. The charitable side of me thinks that, so far, my experience here has been pretty good. No real gripes. The cynical side of me, however, would like to call for lower rentals, an attached bathroom, and better food in the dining hall. But I don't think these moves are possible at all. At least not now. In this, I'm a severe realist.

But it's been interesting living here. The College, I seem to recall someone telling me, models itself on the Oxbridge collegiate system of residency. Accordingly, it does maintain certain aspirations to grandeur. It has, after all, played host to HM The Queen regularly over the past years. And next February, it's planning to hold a series of formal faculty dinners. I'm slated to attend the dinner dedicated to members and scholars in the humanities, and have been tasked with recommending a lecturer from UCL to be an official dinner guest.

We've each also been issued a protocol advice sheet for the dinner. I love this bit - "Please do not sit down until grace is complete. During the course of the meal make sure that you speak to those people seated on each side of you an indeed across the table. Do not confine your conversation to your own guest. This is a formal dinner so please do not leave the table during the meal to speak with friends or to go to the washroom, and ask your guest also to remain seated."

Such excruciating detail. What can I say? Wah piang eh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last phrase is proof you are erudite in more than one tongue ...

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home