Thursday, December 07, 2006

Snow Patrol

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me
And just forget the world?

Go ahead. Call me a late starter, for I don’t mind. Because I’ve only just really discovered the music of Snow Patrol. Where have I been all along? They’re simply, truly amazing.

As everyone except me knows, Snow Patrol emerged as an independent rock band out of Scotland and Northern Ireland in the mid 1990s, and came to prominence later with wonderful albums such as Final Straw and also Eyes Open, issued earlier this year. I don’t think frontman Gary Lightbody’s anything spectacular to look at – skinny and forgettable – but his lyrics, a snatch of which open this post, does strike a particular resonance with many.

I had only been vaguely familiar with the band, but got the good chance recently to listen to a selection of their hits, and to catch one of their concerts on TV. My favorite tracks? Well, like many, I guess, they would have to be Spitting Games ("Ooo ooo ooo ooo"), Chasing Cars, Open Your Eyes, Chocolate, plus the brilliant Run, which has the potential to become a true classic anthem.

Great music. Keep ‘em coming.

PS – Thanks, Hot Mama!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES YESSSS... Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars!!! cool song!
The first time i heard on TV (there was an advertisement placed on Channel 5 to promote the Eyes Open album.) Though a short minute of the MTV on "Chasing Cars", boy, i was hooked! Subsequently, was waiting patiently for the song to be played on air (radio). Melt my hearts upon listening.
Then, it was played on the last episode of seasons 3 of Grey Anatomy's. Again, melted away. Nice song, nice show, touching wrap-up for that season (Grey's)

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these:

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

... ...

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home