Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Mood in November

I'm cold - finally. After an extended summer, temperatures across the UK plunged downwards significantly this week. Even in London, we're getting single digits at night, and barely double digits during the day. Tonight, we're expecting that the mercury will dip below freezing. Coincidentally, the cold wave this week came just after the clocks were set back over the weekend. So the mood has definitely changed now. By 5.00pm, it's dark everywhere. On the streets, everyone's wrapped up and surly. When we get to the winter solstice in mid-December, I'm sure it will be much worse.
Meanwhile, my room's freezing. I don't know why it's taking such a long time for the heating to be turned on. I've placed an order for a space heater on Argos.co.uk - purveyor of everything consumerist. I hope to pick it up tomorrow.
Fall in the US - where I spent a few good years - was spectacular. Screaming bright orange and red colors, with cheerful pumpkins and gentle breezes. In contrast, autumn in London is decidedly less pretty. Miserable yellow leaves and equally miserable looking squirrels. Perhaps I need to get out more - or at least beyond the hall and the school. But so far, it certainly doesn't feel like a season of mist and mellow fruitfulness over here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home