Monday, July 16, 2007

I Couldn't Get To The Books


My first assignment in government too many years ago saw me taking on a policy oversight role for Singapore’s national library system. Well, we all have to start somewhere. And in the course of my work, I began to learn more about the public libraries in other countries, including the famous British Library, which was then shifting to new spanking premises at St Pancras in London.

That’s actually only a ten minute walk from where I now live. And yet I’ve never even been there before. But with time available today, I made a very belated trip to the British Library to check things out for myself.



The complex is certainly new and modern, and very professionally managed, but I think we in Singapore have got a much prettier new National Library building, and one which is certainly more welcoming. Over here, one has to register and obtain a pass before being permitted to enter any of its reading rooms. What a drag.

So I didn’t actually get to see any books. But I did check out the gift shop and bookstore, plus the permanent exhibition of ancient literary artefacts from around the world – old religious texts, early editions of classic works, handwritten letters, old maps, even musical scores. The most famous exhibit was the two copies of the Magna Carta, dating from 1215.

When I begin work on my dissertation, I may well find myself back at the British Library, but armed with the necessary pass to enter. So perhaps it’s not good bye as yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home