Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Weather in April...

…has been frighteningly warm. Sure, compared to Singapore, daytime highs these past few days have only been in the mid twenties. But this is April! Winter has barely passed. And if we have such temperatures now, imagine what August is gonna feel like.

I know I have been a great weather bore. I obsess about the weather, and usually about how warm it is. I don’t mind the cold. I just hate being hot. I hate sweating. I hate stuffiness and stickiness. Sure, I may have been born on a land just a degree north the equator. But that doesn’t mean I have to like equatorial-type temperatures.

There was a time when, if I were embarking upon a trip to the UK in April, I would have packed a thick jacket. Perhaps those cold days are over, with appearances of Halley’s Comet even more recurrent. Perhaps global warming is now - totally and utterly - a phenomenon no more of the future, but of the present.

I’m not here to cast a judgment on the science involved. I just don’t know enough. But it sure was disquieting waking up this morning and being greeted by headlines announcing that April 2007 has been the warmest April in the UK since continuous records began 350 years ago.

The Independent notes today that Spring 2007 will be probably be the hottest spring ever. “It has followed the second-warmest winter in the UK record (December, January and February) and the warmest-ever autumn (September, October and November 2006).”

Clearly, I’ve not really been shivering much since I came to London. That’s good, but also somewhat worrying.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. You have truly become English. Since you dont have much adventures to recount, you talk about the weather ... :) DH

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home