Friday, April 13, 2007

One Enjoyable Evening

Well, I’ve been in the habit of giving quick restaurant reviews for the blog while in London, so why stop the practice, even if I may be back in Singapore?

And so I gathered this evening for dinner with my ex-boss and with my ex-colleague and long time friend at Les Bouchons on 7 Ann Siang Road, located in an area filled with many boutique restaurants and bars, including my old favourite, the now-departed Union Bar, close by on Club Street.

The boss had been to the bistro-like Les Bouchons previously for lunch, where he enjoyed himself, and therefore suggested that we met there for dinner. It was a French restaurant, but the portions were decidedly unFrench. My kind of place. First came the Bordeaux, which was brilliant, and then servings of salmon on toast, charchuterie, and garlic escargots…very appetizing indeed…although they could try cutting down on the olive oil for the last item.

The restaurant specializes in steaks, perfect for carnivores like me. I chose the Sirlon steak as my starter, which came with a delightful side of pomme frites, and a selection of sauces, mayonnaise, horse radish and more. But although I knew what sort of cut it was, there were still too much unchewable bits to it, which meant that an untidy mess remained on the plate.

The boss – who works and plays hard – felt that the standard of the food this time round wasn’t as great, but after my cup of coffee, and after the wonderful time with the two of them, I didn’t really care. The company was excellent, with the food entirely secondary.

In particular, I was thrilled to be seeing her again – one of my very best friends in Singapore – and after dinner, when the boss took his leave, we headed to the new Muse Bar at the upgraded National Museum. My London education has done me well. Say Muse, and I think of those guys behind songs such as Sing for Absolution and Butterflies and Hurricanes.

Anyway, it’s good to see the National Museum rebranding itself as a hip and happening place, and I helped myself to an interesting Gin Smash. But perhaps we shouldn’t have gone there. The music was deafening, even though we sat outdoors, and with tons of stuff to catch up on, conversation was difficult. How to gossip successfully with such a din in the background?

No worries, though. We’ve made plans to get together again next Monday evening. I’m certainly looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home