Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In Hampstead Again

So what was it exactly? A Thai eatery masquerading as a traditional English pub? Or an English pub which got schizophrenic, and thought itself to be a Thai restaurant? I still haven’t really figured it out. But whatever the case, the food was good, and the company excellent. And that was quite enough for me.

We had found ourselves traipsing through Hampstead in North London, before we landed at the White Horse pub in South End Green. Step beyond the bar area in front, and you’re ushered into a delightful little dining room further in, complete with a charming fireplace.

Settled snugly in a corner, we studied the menu intently…. mmmmm. Could I eat it all, I wondered. Curries red, green and yellow. Tom yum and spring rolls. Pad Thai and fried rice, both laden with leaves and spice. What more could we ask for?

Great music, perhaps. And we weren't disappointed. I had no inkling I was to be immersed in the soundtrack of my life – Nightswimming by REM, and also Everybody Hurts; Bitter Sweet Symphony by the Verve, With Or Without You by U2, In My Place by Coldplay, and a few more. They certainly brought back memories of years past.

But I was very glad to have had the time to talk. I shall treasure these moments. We’ve not gotten together properly since the new term began, and it was wonderful catching up. We’ll be seeing less of each other in class this year, alas. This evening, it was just the two of us. But make no mistake. The Monday Night Dining Club is back in business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home