Friday, January 12, 2007

A Distant Land

I've generally had a good time in London so far - especially if you discount the moments of studying. But being away from home, I'm reminded of something I wrote some time back, and it's a piece which I'm happy to present here.

A Distant Land

I wandered off to a distant land
Where flowers bloomed from every hill
And everything that came to hand
Did seem to fill my every thrill
Encouraged by an eager will

On lush green trees there grew luscious fruits
Which back home I could never taste
Resolved I thus to sink my roots
Down here with dizzying, blinding haste
For dazzling sights had left me dazed

Yet when I tried soon to pluck my share
There lay beyond a chasm wide
On branches high on fields so bare
On frozen grounds the flowers died
And cold winds swept past where I’d cried

Through valleys low I was forced to roam
Through winter’s squalls of furious wrath
And when I cast my eyes back home
The showers there had moved on north
And fresh new flowers blossomed forth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home