Saturday, January 13, 2007

A Classic Trio

It’s been with me my entire life. It’s seen me at my best and worst. It’s provided periods of calm through turbulent times. Where would I be without classical music? Would I even be me?

And the amazing truth is that classical music’s anything but old. Far from it. There’re still so many works out there which I’ve yet to fully encounter, and the standard repertoire’s getting ever broader, too. Here’s a quick note of three string works, the recordings of which I just need to get very soon:

Jean Sibelius – Andante Festivo
Philip Glass – Violin Concerto
Ralph Vaughn Williams – 5 Variants on Dives and Lazurus

Meanwhile, it’s high time to check out London’s classical offerings this coming year. I’ll have to kick myself I don’t find more opportunities to savour the variety of performances available in this city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home