Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Weekend in Hampshire


It was a very good idea which someone from class had – to rent a weekend cottage in the countryside for us to chill out, to enjoy each other’s company, to get out of London to see more of England, and generally, to have a good time. I was very glad that I joined them. For me, it was neat getting behind the wheel again – I had rented a Ford Focus from the Avis outlet near Euston Station – and we set off eagerly for the little village of West Tytherley, where the cottage was located.

Heading beyond the M25 orbital road around London, the scenery becomes rapidly rural, and images of the green and pleasant land start appearing, as three lane motorways give way to single-lane country roads. With a bit of difficulty and some false turns, we reached the cottage late on Friday afternoon.

This used to be an old dairy and probably a milking shed, but had since been converted as a guest house. It was nicely furnished, with full heating and lighting. But it was an unfamiliar place, nonetheless, shrouded in darkness at night, with strong winds blowing. Perfect conditions for all the ghost stories to emerge. And we did tell quite a few.

Some from my class have exceptional culinary skills, and I had a very good pasta dinner on Friday, followed by spicy vegetable and bean soup with potatoes the following evening, plus, I should add, one of the most delectable home-made apple pies as well. I can’t cook to save my life. I can only eat. But eating is something I do very well.

We spent quite a bit of time indoors. At this time of the year, the sky begins to darken before 4.00pm. We were well stocked with drinks and chips and had fun playing different games, and just chatting. Soon, each of us will leave for our respective Christmas break, and the next time we gather in such a big group may well be in the new year. I had loads of fun, and looking back, I think we all did. Here are some happy images from the weekend:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home