Thursday, November 23, 2006

Channelling Vitaly Churkin

I am Vitaly Churkin, the Russian Ambassador to the United Nations. I've been representing my country in that capacity since the spring of 2006. I must say it’s been a pretty interesting few months. My foreign minister is Sergey Lavrov, and he was in New York in September, in conjunction with the 61st session of the UN General Assembly. My defense minister is Sergei Ivanov. We report collectively to the President, Vladimir Putin, who directs the general course of Russian foreign policy......

Well, of course, I’m not the esteemed Mr Churkin. But I’ve been assigned this role for a coming major policy simulation exercise, which concludes my international relations class at UCL. We’re planning to simulate a debate on the North Korean situation at the United National Security Council. The focus is not just on the theatrics of the occasion. In advance of the UNSC session, we can expect to see quite a bit of behind-the-scenes bargaining and negotiations between different delegations.

The other participants of the class have already be assigned to the different roles – whether as members of the Permanent 5 or rotating delegations, or as part of concerned parties such as North Korea, South Korea and the International Atomic Energy Agency. Some have had the good fortune of being tasked to play the role of luminaries such as Kim Jong-Il or George W. Bush. This should be fun. I think the first strategy we Russians should take, as always, is to gang up with the French and the Chinese and stiff the Americans. Heh, such are the realities of global politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home