Friday, November 17, 2006

Meanwhile in School...

I’ve not blogged much about school work, because…well…there’s not much that’s exciting to blog about. It’s definitely there. It’s heavy. It’s intense. It’s dreary. And sometimes, it’s downright mind-blowingly confusing. I’d sit there, pouring through the same formulas and graphs for my economics module, and nothing makes sense. Then, a dark sensation of déjà vu creeps in, and I am instantly reminded of those days when I used to do so badly for maths.

It’s certainly not a nice feeling.

The international relations module is more appealing, but very theoretically scoped. It makes for very dry reading. It’s not something that sets the mind on fire. Did I once really entertain thoughts of going into academia? After years of professional experience, I guess I have less patience now to plough through some of the worst examples of indecipherable academic writing. These are the kind of texts one would read to cure insomnia. But generally, it’s a pretty interesting course, and we have what promises to be a rather intriguing policy simulation exercise coming up in December.

My main concern is the economics module, which represents a core component of my programme. And it’s taught by faculty from the economic department. Most of us come into it without a firm background in the subject, and as such, I’m not the only one who’s struggling here. It's discouraging. And it’s surely not gonna get any better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home