Monday, November 13, 2006

Singapore Garden

My quest for good and authentic Singapore/Malaysian food continues. A few weeks back, I had my first such outing at the C&R Restaurant. They have two branches in London, and I found myself at the Rupert Court outlet in Chinatown, feasting on mee siam, beef rendang and kangkung belachan.

This evening saw me at the Singapore Garden on Fairfax Road in the Swiss Cottage area with three others from class. It’s located on a quiet residential lane, and the restaurant décor was more posh than I had expected. A very classy setting indeed.

But how was the food? Well, the reviews were right. It was a pretty good place. We started with chicken satay and kueh pai tee, both of which were eminently satisfying. I then had the laksa, which came with everything I had expected, except for a sprinkling of laksa leaves. But I gulped down the entire bowl. The evening ended with a nice giant chendol, the taste of gula melaka reminding me of how much I miss food from the region.

All in all, a very nice night out. The only gripe I have concerns the waiters of Singapore Garden, who lurked around my table a wee bit too obtrusively, like vultures. There was an obvious lack of discretion and tact.

Where next? London boasts quite a few Singapore/Malaysian eateries. There’s Shiok along Southhampton Row, and there’s Kiasu on Queensway – surely they could have been more inspired in selecting a name? I may also give Rasa Penang a try, although it's rather far from Central London.

With all the other fine food around, there’s so much to eat, and so little time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home