Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Pause in Time

I got together last evening with my old boss and another former colleague for some after-dinner drinks. They were both in town for an official trip which would also take them to continental Europe. Over glasses of aromatic Belgian Leffe beer, we talked about developments back home and back in the office. They don’t seem that far away. But I’ve not been in London for very long. And for a while, just a while, it seemed as though I was back in my old role, discussing issues and people around whom my work life once revolved.

I had a good time in that position, with interesting work, a few fantastic colleagues, and I'd add as well that I had a very supportive boss, who backed me up firmly in my plans to head to London for this sabbatical year. Under him, I had lots of latitude to run things on my own, and that was certainly very liberating. For that, I’m very grateful.

But things change, don't they, and while I settled into my old identity rather easily last evening, I’m conscious that those days are in the past. That’s what you learn in life. Nothing is cast in permanence. There’s some uncertainty as to what awaits me at the end of this stint in London. For now, though, it’s early days yet, and I intend to enjoy myself fully here in this wonderful city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home