Saturday, October 07, 2006

Friendships Old and New

Awful weather yesterday. It was cold, bleak, rainy and gloomy. But I was in a pretty good mood, nonetheless. One of my best friends from home was back in town. In many ways, I'm following in her footsteps. She had received the same scholarship as I did, she stayed at the same hostel as I, and she also pursued a course in public policy, but at the LSE, not UCL. We've known each other for quite a few years, and she was among those who were at the airport in Changi, sending me off.
We had a pretty good time hanging out over a cup of camomile tea for her, and a coffee for me at the local Starbucks. (Brief digression - there are very many Starbucks joints around London. They're everywhere! Not that I'm complaining...) It was fun updating each other on how we've been, exchanging gossip, and generally enjoying the afternoon.
Dinner later at the Blackfriars area, in Refettorio, a curiously empty Italian restaurant, where we were joined by her sister and many of her friends in London. A rather convivial evening. Good food, good conversation, great cheer. But for me, I was just very happy to have met a very dear friend yesterday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many of us have really sat and count the number of friends we have and lost ever since we know about friendship? Can you recall the boy/girl who sat besides you during your play school days? Or can you remember the class bully you have during your rebellious years? Or can you remember the friendship bands that gave the identity of the groups? Seriously, I do feel sad to have lost touch with some good ol’ friends that you once share memories with.
My husband always laughs at me for having 3 good friends - 2 ladies and 1 gentleman who have walked with me during my teens, seen me get married and of course, now, a mother of 1. Actually, he was wrong. I do have friends and they come in at different stages of my life. Somehow, I have this weakness of not able to keep in good contacts with some of these friends when we part; friends during my secondary school days, tertiary years and ex-companies. I won’t call them my passer-by friends because that sounded so de-grading. But somehow, these friends will surface in my memories now and then, just blaming myself not able to meet up or chat on the phone.
But have they remembered me too? I won’t really want to count on that. I just believe and know that they are and still my friends.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home