Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Into the Mousetrap

I've just returned from watching a performance of Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap at the St. Martin's Theatre. How campy, how comical, and how wonderfully entertaining! This is the world's longest-running play, an institution in London's theatre heartland, opening way back in 1947 and still going strong. This report from the BBC a few years back sought to shed some light on why the play's had such incredible staying power. It's basically a classic whodunnit thriller which takes place in a manor house - a fictional setting that many of us would readily recognize. We sit there wondering whom among those present is the murderer? The Ralstons, who own the place? Their assorted house guests? Or could it be Mr Paravachini, the strange visitor who arrived unexpectedly? Could it even be the policeman, Detective Sergeant Trotter?
X X X X X X X X X X
I do realise that I had said the school term would begin this week. And indeed it has. But the transition to reality has been more gradual than expected. Certainly no quick plunge into the deep end, for classes only begin some days later. Last week saw my enrollment into the university. This week sees more assorted orientation and induction activities, but centred this time at my School of Public Policy. I've registered formally with the School, and there are a few welcome presentations and drink sessions coming up later this week. I'm certainly looking forward to them. I've already found someone from my class who's also staying in the same hostel as me. I guess I should be seeing much of him in the coming months. Maybe there may be more of us who straddle both the School of Public Policy and Goodenough College. We'll find out soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home