Saturday, June 23, 2007

Wicked in London

The parents are now in London, and I spent part of today with them catching a matinee performance of Wicked. This is a new award-winning musical production, based loosely upon a novel which was based, in turn, on the more famous tale of the Wizard of Oz.

I think it was a pretty decent and enjoyable act, taking place at the Apollo Victoria theatre, located away from the West End theatric core. The complex was larger and more modern than many its old and cramped counterparts further north. The stage design and setting was very impressive, but I can’t say I came away with any memorable melodies in my head.

London on a Saturday afternoon in summer was extremely crowded and messy, a far cry from the sedate Tallinn and Helsinki just days ago. The Tube was packed to capacity, and there was so much noise, and color and people around. My mum found it overwhelming, and I guess this city isn’t a place for one to settle down for a relaxing break. Instead, your senses are assaulted from all angles.

But a large part of me relishes the experience tremendously. I have so much to do, so much to see, and even more to eat in the coming couple of months.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No ventilation in Tube, cant receive SMS, how to tahan? ... :) DH

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home