Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Face From Home

Met an old colleague and friend earlier this evening over dinner at the Grand Bazaar, a small Turkish restaurant off Oxford Street on James Street, which also sees many other eateries close by jostling for business. The weather was freezing, but the company and food were delightful.

The place was imaginatively decorated, with lamps and incense burners hanging from the ceiling, creating the atmosphere of the oriental, conjuring up the image of a Turkish bazaar. We started with some bread and mititi kofte, and I followed up with a admittedly somewhat dry serving of swordfish on spit. Being there, my thoughts were also drawn to the Café Divan, a Turkish restaurant in Washington where I had spent some memorable moments during a period of my life that now lies ever further in the past.

It was good catching up with her, and getting up to scratch with some of the gossip back home about who's up, who's down, and who's heading out. She’s here currently on holiday, in between two assignments, and I’m pretty happy for her that her next posting is a well-regarded and much deserved one. It’s a very good step up for her.

Amidst all the talk about our parent agency back home, what was sobering for me, alas, was the realization that even though I’ve yet to conquer my schoolwork and exams here in London, I need now to look increasingly ahead to a life back at work again. It's something to be done. But it’s not an entirely scintillating prospect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home