Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back in London

Well, I’m back in London and back to reality. The past two weeks in the continent were certainly good. The time in Milan proved to be very relaxing, and the opportunity to check out Leonardo Da Vinci’s Last Supper was divine. The Duomo was remarkable as well, and we had a good time climbing up to the top. The Pinacoteca di Brera was underwhelming, but the array of designer outlets elsewere was impressive. And after too many fulfilling trips to this ristorante and that trattoria, all I need to do now is to lay off pasta and delicacies Italian for at least a month.

I wish I could begin this year, blog-wise, on a more inspiring note, yet somehow, a return to the gray and dampness of this city doesn’t really lift anyone’s spirit. January marks the start of another long slog.

But, of course, I’m not being fair to London. There is much out there waiting to be relished. Except that I’ve been spending the past couple of days on wonderfully uplifting chores like downloading course materials and readings for the coming term, stocking up the fridge, burying my dead house plant (R.I.P.), and – yes – trying to sort out the mess caused by the laptop which had given up on me.

Someone from hall has offered to lend me one of his two laptops for the moment, and it’s a gesture I really appreciate, as I try to fight things out with Toshiba UK. This seems like such a dreary, even parochial concern. There are evidently more important matters in life. Yet I really do feel the loss of the laptop tremendously. My life in London, each day, is intimately tied up with it – for work, music, TV and radio, emailing and chatting, and surfing the web.

We have the rest of this week to gird ourselves for the dawn of a new term next Monday. Chin up and chest out. The routine begins once again…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home