Sunday, October 15, 2006

My Running Soundtrack

Another dreary Sunday. Stayed in the entire day, fighting a losing paper war. I called a ceasefire in the afternoon and headed out for another run up to Regent's Park. I'm now getting pretty familiar with the route to take. On my first expedition there just a couple of days after arriving in London, I actually stuffed a map into my back pocket, fearing that I might get lost. Now, I feel like a virtual local.
Accompanying me on my runs has been the trusted iPod, on which are loaded several pieces of music that serve as a literal running soundtrack. I've got a much wider collection, but the usual few tracks I listen to are performances by Coldplay, U2 and Dave Matthews:
  • Coldplay - Politik
  • Coldplay - The Scientist
  • Coldplay - Clocks
  • U2 - Pride
  • U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
  • U2 - One
  • U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
  • Dave Matthews: Grey Street
  • Dave Matthews: Crash
  • Dave Matthews: Bartender
Is it the particular tempo of the pieces? The sublime music? The simple fact that all three are fantastic bands? I don't know. What I do know, is that without the music in my ears, I probably can't execute a proper run anymore. It's really that important.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is the very last time that I did serious exercise...hmmm? College days! Used to be like you, having my fave soundtracks in my...ehhh..what you called...walkman? But I cycled. Still, choosing a lazier sports, compared to you. :)
Well, how time has really flies. I remembered my very owned red plastic AIWA walkman that accompanied me to my one and only dental visit when I was 10. What I listened to then? Some “smurfy” songs. (If you are a cartoon manic, you would know what I am “smurfing” about.) Then followed by a pink one which I saved every penny I have in my piggy when I was 12. In my teens, I have gotten a better, cool metallic black walkman. Can’t remember the brand though, what I do know was that I ended donating this piece to my maid who was leaving.
Then slowly but surely, the world was buzzing about - DISCMAN! Again, these gadgets and audio babies were roaming on the streets with fancy colours, shapes and sizes. It has gotten smaller and slimmer and soon you know it, MD (MiniDisc...was that what it stands for???) was launched! Never get to own one though because these babies are moving too fast. Now, what are we listening with - MP3!!!
Sigh! What can I say…things move and change so fast and sometimes you wonder if you have moved on too?

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home