Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Final Feasts


The final few days in London were pretty frenetic. On Friday, we gathered for one last big pow-wow at Club SSG, featuring a fantastic culinary demonstration by the Celebrity Chef, who was on hand to deliver us an ultimate flourish, before hanging up his wok for good. OK…I was kidding. It’s only for the remaining time he has in London.

But what a wonderful meal we all had, feasting on his amazing Teochew porridge. SSG, GNK+1, his other half, and even SSG’s flat mate all had an opportunity to tuck into the scrumptious offerings. Good food, good wine, and good company. All the right ingredients were there. The only thing missing was the lup cheong. But I wouldn’t dare complain…

And things were only gonna get better. I left London the following morning on a rented Peugeot from Alamo and headed southwest to the beautiful county of Dorset, where a good friend from class had organized a party for the rest of us and a few other friends of hers. I expected something casual along the lines of the different events I had attended earlier in London.


But what I found upon arriving was another thing altogether. First, her country house was grand and luxurious to the extreme. There was a live band playing. And almost everyone was dressed up to the nines. Before long, we were seated out on her expansive lawn, under a marquee, and served with a proper three course dinner. Posh. Posh. Posh. And very English.

And as I sat there, looking at the bonfire burning further away on the lawn, breathing in the cool early autumn evening air, and sipping into the lovely red nectar, I knew that this was perhaps the best way with which I could end my stay in the UK. This, too, I guess, will be my penultimate post for this blog. For it is time, alas, to bid farewell to this one year of rampant activity...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the food at club SSG but what made it even better was the company we had. Would have even be better with everyone there though. I guess, pretty soon, there will be 1 blog less for me to constantly check for updates but hopefully many more to read from the rest, especially those in the States and still remaining in the UK - you know who you are [pressure, pressure]

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rampant, can continue to blog about being rampant in s'pore or not...

And I reckon u must have finally descended upon the Radin Mas trail on the quest for the ultimate lor mee...

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home