Tuesday, September 19, 2006

In London, Finally

And here I am in London, finally. Well, I did get in over the weekend, but it took me a couple of days to settle in, catching up on sleep, and getting certain errands done, before I had a chance to set this blog up. So what's been happening?


After getting through the Immigration authorities and Heathrow and dishing out an obscene amount for the cab ride into town, I got into the Goodenough College late on Saturday evening. Heading towards my assigned room on the third floor, I soon spotted KH's name on one of the doors. So after dumping my things, I knocked on his door and went in for a chat.

"I'm about to go out and meet this girl; someone I was referred to over the net. Do you want to come along?"

Before I knew it, I was out with him and we then met up with this group of about five Singaporeans working in London. There was a gathering at some club in the East End - the name of which escapes me - with more Singaporeans around. A farewell bash for one of them who was heading back home. I met doctors, lawyers, accountants and bankers. Obviously a very professional crowd. It was well after midnight before we left. The Tube had stopped running. We groped our way back on a night bus, and I collapsed onto my bed, exhausted.

X X X X X X X X X X
It's not been difficult settling in. There were the usual irritations dealing with assorted service staff, but you get that anywhere. I think knowing the country and knowing the language helps. No torrid tale of tragedy to recount. Things like getting my mobile phone, registering with a local doctor, and making sure my bank account works were all pretty easy to manage. The hostel still owes me my fridge, and for some reason, they've yet to deliver it to my room.

The weather here has been lovely. Sunny skies with temperatures in the mid 20s, and the sun setting after 7pm. I've already had a nice jog up to Regent's Park. But soon, the leaves will turn brown, the clocks will be set back, and temperatues will fall. I'll enjoy what I have right now for as long as I can.

It's good to be living away from home again. A chance once more to see more of the world. London looks the same, after so many years, and it still feels the same. I have mixed feelings about being here, about why I'm here, and what lies ahead, about what London represents to me, what it signifies.... How will the year turn out? Indeed, how will this blog evolve? Well, we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home